How to Get Rid of Mould in Your Home

How to Get Rid of Mould in Your Home

Smell musty odour in your house? See green or black spots on your walls or ceilings? That’s a sure sign you have mould in the house.

They have to be treated right away, lest they spread to other areas of your home and cause allergic reactions. Allergic reactions occur when mould is touched or their spores are inhaled.

You best bet would be to leave the treatment to a trained professional. However, if the problem isn’t that big yet, you can resort to homemade chemicals to remove them completely.

In this guide, we will show you the products you’ll be needing and specific directions to take for getting rid of mould from different surfaces in your home.

Without further ado, let’s start!

Products You Need to Kill Mould

Products You Need to Kill Mould

Household chemicals are excellent in combating and killing mould. Here are the ones you will need:

  • Chlorine Bleach – This cleaner is extremely effective in destroying mould in your house. Whether you have regular bleach or sodium hypochlorite, they can get the task done.

However, since it is quite potent, it has to be diluted in water before use. Also, be careful not to inhale its vapour and never combine it with ammonia because the resulting toxic gas is life-threatening.

  • Hydrogen Peroxide – A less harsh cleaner, hydrogen peroxide can remove black and green mould and eliminate them. Make sure to use one that indicates it has a 3 to 10% solution.

Compared to bleach, it is a safer product to use because it has moderate cleaning power and doesn’t have dangerous fumes nor leave residues.

  • Distilled White Vinegar – Vinegar is gentle and acidic which can weaken the mould and eventually remove it. It’s not as harsh as bleach but may not remove all the spots, and thus, you might need to do additional scrubbing and cleaning.
  • Baking Soda and Borax – You can use one of these two products to discourage mould survival and growth. Unlike vinegar or bleach, they are safer and non-toxic cleaners, although borax is slightly better at taking out remaining mould stains.

Most people have these two substances at home, but in case you’d have to buy them, they are affordable and readily available at groceries.

How to Remove Mould from Shower Tiles and Grout

How to Remove Mould from Shower Tiles and Grout

Mould on the shower floor is caused by a damp surface, body dirt, or both. Rather than using higher-priced cleaners, using chlorine bleach and water will be enough to remove them all.

Simply mix 0.24L of bleach with 3.79L of water. Treat the affected area, let it soak in for fifteen minutes, scrub it out, rinse with water, and let dry by opening the windows and doors.

How to Remove Mould from Fabric

How to Remove Mould from Fabric

If you spot mould on previously forgotten damp gym clothes, swimsuits, and bath towels, you might still be able to save them, depending on the degree of mould growth.

The first step for this is to take the fabrics outside and brush off the surface mould. This also prevents the mould spores from scattering inside your house and causing respiratory symptoms.

Then, you have to remove the mould by throwing them in the washer, putting in some laundry detergent, adding disinfectant, and setting it to the hottest setting. Note that this should be done according to the care tag of the fabric.

However, if the fabric isn’t machine-washable you have to conduct dry cleaning or wash away the mould by hand.

But if the stains remain, you can create a chlorine bleach or oxygen bleach (hydrogen peroxide)  solution, the latter of which is safer for clothing. Afterwards, pour them into the fabric and let it soak for at least 8 hours, and then rinse it.

How to Remove Mould from Walls and Ceilings

How to Remove Mould from Walls and Ceilings

Small dots and streaks of mould can still be remedied if you act quickly. That said, it will depend on your kind of walls and ceilings and if they show any signs of damage.

If your ceiling or wall material is plaster or sheetrock, you can kill and remove the mould on it without any problem. But, if it is of a porous construction, you might have to replace it with a new one.

Now, removing mould on walls and ceilings is pretty straightforward. 

First, you’ll have to sponge or brush the surface with detergent and water to clean it and then let it dry.

Follow it up by using a chlorine bleach solution. Simply put together 0.177L of chlorine bleach and 3.79L of warm water and dip your brush in it and clean away the mouldy surfaces.

Remember to wear protective goggles and long rubber gloves all the time when doing the work. Because the solution can irritate your eyes and skin and the mould spores can be dislodged to the air and come in contact with you.

Also, using a dehumidifier can help dry the walls and ceilings faster and prevent mould and mildew from developing again.

How to Remove Mould from Wood

How to Remove Mould from Wood

Your kitchen is also prone to mould growth, because there is a lot of smoke or moisture coming from or caused by appliances, like a dishwasher and stove. The moisture touches different items such as your wood cabinets and doors.

Perhaps due to the muggy weather, you might discover mould formation on your furniture and wood panelling too.

To deal with the unwelcome fungal presence, you have to use a vacuum—preferably one with a HEPA filter and brush tool. Proceed to brush and vacuum up the loose spores on the cabinet, furniture, or panelling.

Make a cleaning solution with a few drops of dish soap and 3.79L of water. Apply this to the mould-stained surface but not too much.

Finally, wet a clean cloth, wring it out completely, and wipe the surface down. Then, use another dry cloth to make the furniture or panelling dry, which is important, since leaving the surface wet for a long time could result in damage.

And that was how you can get rid of small mould in your home! With these home cleaners, you don’t have to drive by the grocery and spend more to get a commercial product for killing mould.

Remember to always be safe when treating mould and mildew. You can do this by wearing protective glasses or goggles and long cleaning gloves.

Have any questions or comments about our guide? Please leave us a message and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can!