Although Penang is mostly known for its rich culture and beautiful beaches, it also features an abundance of well-maintained recreational parks. These parks provide a breath of fresh air and a sanctuary where people can admire plants, walk, jog, or exercise.
Join us here as we list down some of the best parks in Penang that we think should be included in your itinerary–let’s get started!
Penang Municipal Park
Address: Persiaran Kuari, Pulau Tikus, 10450 George Town, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia
Contact details: +60 14-249 8611
- Monday to Thursday – 6 AM to 5:30 PM
- Friday – 7 AM to 5:30 PM
- Saturday to Sunday – 6 AM to 7 PM
When it comes to the variety of activities, Penang Municipal Park takes the cake. Rather than simply offering lush trees, ponds, and jogging tracks, this park features a skate park, a swimming pool, and a playground–all of which are available to the public!
This kind of variety makes it a great destination for an entire day, as you’ll get to experience countless hours of fun!
- If you want to take the coolest pictures, make sure to stop by the graffiti wall where you can find tons of striking artwork.
- Bring your elder relatives if you can and let them walk through the park’s reflexology path. This way, their feet can get massaged–for free!
Penang National Park
Address: Pejabat Taman Negara P. Pinang jalan Hassan Abbas, 11050 George Town, Penang, Malaysia
Contact details: +60 4-881 3530
- Sunday to Saturday – 8 AM to 5 PM
Penang National Park is the premier recreational park in the state. Covering over a thousand hectares of land and sea, this park will spoil you with things to admire like luscious jungles and majestic wildlife–be sure to bring your cameras!
You can go on a hiking trip along these beautiful lush greeneries but be sure to wear the right clothes, especially footwear. The trail can get a bit slippery after rainfall.
Aside from that, the park also houses one of the most beautiful beaches in Malaysia, Turtle Beach so be sure to bring your swimming attire too!
- If you want to explore every crevice of this national park, we recommend hiring a guide as well as a boat driver.
- Be on the lookout for beautiful flora species. This jungle is known to house over 400 species, some of which can only be found here!
Tropical Spice Garden
Address: Lot 595 Mukim, 2, Jalan Teluk Bahang, Teluk Bahang, 11050 George Town, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia
Contact details: +60 12-423 6797
- Friday to Sunday – 9 AM to 6 PM
- Monday to Thursday – 9 AM to 4:30 PM
Tropical Spice Garden is one of those places where you can easily get lost in its beauty. This 8-acre garden will spoil your eyes with over 500 different species of flora and fauna–how awesome is that?
Also, as you may have guessed from its name, this place houses some famous spices like vanilla and nutmeg. It’s cool to see these spices in their natural state before they become the processed products that you see in stores.
The park itself may be overwhelming at first because of all its offerings, but it’s quite worth the walk. We’d recommend opting for the audio tour, as it covers every nook and cranny of the park from the spice terrace to the bamboo garden and more.
- Stop by the outdoor cafe after exploring the garden to sip on some coffee and enjoy a view overlooking the Straits of Malacca.
Penang Botanic Gardens
Address: Kompleks Pentadbiran, Bangunan Pavilion, Jalan Kebun Bunga, 10350 George Town, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia
Contact details: +60 4-226 4401
Operating hours: Monday to Sunday – 6:30 AM to 7:00 PM
Penang Botanical Gardens is one of the most recognisable and must-visit attractions of the state. Boasting 50 hectares, this recreational park features multiple gardens such as the Formal Garden, Aquatic Garden, Orchidarium, and more!
This place is great for those looking to be immersed in the country’s flora species, as it’s home to rare ones like the Canon Ball Tree and the Pinang palm. These trees can only be seen in this state so be sure to take tons of photos of them!
Aside from plants, you’ll also get to admire majestic animals as well! You’ll find species such as Black Giant squirrels and Dusky Leaf monkeys living their best lives while you take a scenic walk in this park.
- If you’re looking to take home some seeds and plants, we recommend visiting during Spring, as they hold several sales during this season.
Address: 95, Lbh Armenian, George Town, 10300 George Town, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia
Operating hours: Open 24 hours
Armenian Park is a sanctuary for those who are looking to escape from the loud noises of the city. This solemn public park features a well-landscaped garden, benches, walkways, and stunning green lawns.
What makes this park extra beautiful is its surroundings. It perfectly complements the old-timey buildings that it has on its background, creating a scenic portrait that you won’t necessarily see anywhere else.
All in all, whether you want to wind down or exercise, this is a great park to visit!
- We recommend visiting this park during its many events like Art in the Park and Music in the Park. During these events, you’ll get to witness amazing live performances and amazing art installations.
The Habitat Penang Hill
Address: Jalan, Bukit Bendera, 11300 Bukit Bendera, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia
Contact details: +60 19-645 7741
Operating hours: Daily from 9:00 AM to 7:00 PM
The Habitat Penang Hill is hands down one of the most majestic parks you can visit in the state. It’s located in the middle of a forest reserve so you know that you’ll be getting panoramic views wherever you look.
These views are perfect to admire atop the 13-meter-high Curtis Crest Tree Top Walk, which is a looping viewing deck that’s 800 metres above sea level.
Aside from magnificent views, the park is also home to a vast array of fauna species such as birds, flying lemurs, bats, and more. These creatures are best admired at the 1.6 km-long Nature Trail.
- If you’re looking for a thrilling activity while you’re here, you should check out the adventure course, which consists of zip lines and bridges.
- Be sure to cross the 230m Langur Way Canopy Walk if you want to breathe in the crispest air and witness the most beautiful views of the rainforest.