The fun and colourful festivals of Malaysia are a huge part of what makes the country a tourist attraction. However, no other celebration is quite as important and special as the much-awaited Hari Raya, which is celebrated for the entire month by Muslims nationwide!
It is around this celebration that we think is the best time to visit the country because of the camaraderie and exchange of good wishes between locals. If you’re planning to visit this time, keep on reading as we teach you some of the best greetings you can give to Malaysians.
What is Hari Raya?
Let’s breeze through a quick background of Hari Raya before learning some great greetings you can give your loved ones during this special event.
Hari Raya is the celebration that marks the end of the month-long fasting done by Muslims called Ramadan. You can think of it as a victory celebration, which they deserve after a gruelling month of abstaining from food, drinks and other acts.
That’s why during this time, you’ll find families gathering together and feasting on some delicious food. On top of that, this is also the time to catch up with one another since this is when family members go home to their families to reunite and commune with each other.
It falls on the first day of the 10th month of the Islamic calendar called Syawal, and it’s celebrated the entire day. However, when it comes to celebrating Hari Raya in Malaysia, it’s not uncommon to extend the celebration over the entire month.
Hari Raya Haji Greeting Ideas
Since Hari Raya is a time for showing affection to those we care about the most, it’s important to know the best greetings you can give! Here are some ideas you can freely grab and use to show admiration to your loved ones:
- My dear wife/husband, let us celebrate this blessed occasion and pray that Allah grants us peace, joy and prosperity. Happy Eid!
- During this special occasion, I want to thank you for everything you’ve done and greet you happy Eid! I pray that Allah continues to bless you with prosperity and good health!
- Dear husband/wife, I’m pleased to celebrate the blessings of Eid with you and our children. May this year be full of blessings and joy!
- Happy Eid my beloved husband/wife! I pray to Allah that our marriage and bond only grow stronger in the upcoming year.
- This joyous occasion is best celebrated with the best partner. Happy Eid, my love! I pray that our lives continue to be blessed with happy moments and prosperity.
- My loving partner, may this Eid grant you all of the happiness and success in the world. May Allah continue to bless our marriage and family for the rest of our lives.
- Happy Eid to my beloved partner! May Allah bless your life with everything your heart desires.
- On this special occasion of Eid, I want to express my utmost love and gratitude for everything you’ve done. I pray that Allah will continue to give you joy, good health and prosperity for the rest of your life!
- To my dear husband/wife, may this Eid continue to bless our marriage with strength and compassion for each passing day!
- As we rejoice in the celebration of Eid, may Allah bless you with peace, love and infinite joy.
- My dearest Mom and Dad, may this celebration of Eid continue to bless your marriage, as you continue to love and guide us throughout our everyday lives.
- Happy Eid, Dom and Dad! I pray that Allah grants you all the blessings that you deserve for being great parents.
- As we celebrate this special occasion, I pray that the following year will give you joy, prosperity and happiness until the end of time.
- To my dearest parents, may Allah bless continue to strengthen your bond to help you continue being the best guardians of our lives.
- Dear Mom and Dad, as we rejoice on this joyous occasion, I want to express my gratitude to both of you for being the best parents a child could ever ask for. I pray that Allah blesses your coming year with overwhelming joy, peace and love.
- To my dearest mom and dad, Happy Eid! I want to express my love and thanks by praying to Allah to give you both good health and joy until the end of time.
- Happiest Eid, my dear Mom and Dad! May the rest of this year continue to bless your marriage with joy, understanding and most importantly, love!
- As we commemorate this festive celebration of Eid, I want to thank you for everything you’ve done for our family! May Allah bless your lives with prosperity!
- To express my love and gratitude for being the best parents ever, I’ll continue to pray to Allah that you’ll be blessed with infinite joy and good health forever.
- Let’s celebrate this joyous occasion together! Happy Eid and may Allah grant you a stronger bond to make your love for each other stronger.
- Happy Eid! May your table be always filled with your favourite dishes to keep your tummy happy. Selamat Hari Raya!
- To the most awesome friend on the planet, Happy Hari Raya! May Allah continue to keep you healthy so that you can continue spreading happiness to the people around you.
- Happy Eid to you and your family! May your Raya be filled with love and joyous moments.
- Happy Eid to the hungriest person I know! I want to express my appreciation for our friendship by giving you this box of cookies–don’t eat it in one go!
- Dear *insert name, thank you for the years of friendship! Here’s to many more! Happy Raya and may Allah continue to bless you and your family with prosperity and joy.
Best Gifts to Give during Hari Raya
If you want to go all out during Hari Raya, then it’s best to pair your greetings with the following thoughtful gifts:
When in doubt, offer flowers to your loved ones to show utmost admiration during this time of celebration. You can never go wrong with flowers as a gift because they’re simple, beautiful and most importantly, heartfelt.
Everyone can collectively agree that they’re beautiful gifts, and the best part is that the recipient can use them as decorations for their home! This way, your gift won’t just be a one-and-done thing, as it will be fully utilised until they eventually wither.
You can either give flowers in a vase or incorporate them in a basket, the choice is yours!
Lastly, the great thing about this gift is that you’ll have a wide variety of choices. This is great as it can make your gift even more personal when you know which kind of flower is your recipient’s favourite.
Another popular gift that you’ll commonly see being handed out to are Raya cookies. This snack is a staple during this festival which is why you’ll find it being sold in boxes across different stores and stalls in Malaysia.
Just like with flowers, these cookies can also come in different variations, with each one having a unique texture and flavour. Regardless of which one you choose, however, you can’t go wrong with bringing this to an open house because they’re a must-have at a Raya celebration.
Furthermore, these cookies play a bigger role than just being a gift that you can eat together during this festive season. It symbolizes joy and cheer, two important things to have during a much-anticipated event like this.
Hari Raya Cakes
What’s a celebration without a cake? During this special occasion, you’ll find a special version of this widely-beloved dessert aptly called “Hari Raya Cakes”.
This is one of the most special and popular gifts to give during this festival and it’s one that you’ll find in the best cake shops in KL and across Malaysia. It’s one of the main highlights of an open house as it provides your loved ones with something sweet and symbolic at the same time.
The best part about this gift is that you can have it customized to give it more of a personal touch as opposed to just picking one up from the store. If you want to make it extra special, you can have the store write a greeting on top of the cake like “Selamat Hari Raya”.
Furthermore, you can also choose from a variety of flavours! Whether you want to stick to the classics such as chocolate and vanilla or try new flavours like durian and pandan, these cakes won’t disappoint your tastebuds.
If you want to instantly liven up an open house, we recommend getting a box of chocolate! This gift will instantly brighten anyone’s mood which is why we recommend giving it to your loved ones during these wholesome moments.
The best thing about this gift, however, is the different kinds of bite-sized goodness that you’ll get from a single box. To quote Forrest Gump, “Life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what you’re gonna get”.
You can either get milk, white or dark chocolate, but regardless of which, you can ensure that the recipient will appreciate you for this gift. Also, we recommend getting the ones that come in those fancy-looking boxes with dedication cards to make the gift extra special!
If you’re looking for a place to buy quality chocolates for Hari Raya, don’t worry! You’ll find amazing dessert shops in Perak, Kuala Lumpur, Penang and every other city in the country.
One of the best ways to make an entrance to a Hari Raya open house is to bring something big and colourful. For the best of both worlds, we recommend picking up a fruit basket for your loved ones.
By giving this gift to your family, you’ll treat them to a sweet, juicy and most importantly, healthy snack to munch on over the following days. This is perfect if the person you’re gifting this to is someone who’s not allowed to eat the aforementioned sweet treats like cakes and cookies.
You can also choose to customise these baskets yourself by choosing which fruits to include in them. Some of the most common fruits to give during this festive season include apples, bananas, grapes and dragonfruits.
Lastly, you can add a personal touch to your fruit basket by attaching a card with one of the creative greetings we mentioned earlier. You can also tie a ribbon to make it look even more presentable!